3 August, 2018 - 09:00 to 31 August, 2018 - 17:00
The SGroup Network has organised the Summer School on Intercultural China Studies in Shanghai within the framework of the SGroup Think Tank for China. The event will take place at the Shanghai International Studies University between 1-31 August 2018.
The programme provides for inspiring lectures in all important aspects of the relations with China e.g. Chinese culture and tradition, economy, diplomacy, and language training. It is designed as a capacity building initiative for students considering exchange programmes with China or, in a longer perspective, undertaking professional activities in this region. Lectures and language classes will be delivered by top experts in their respective fields from Europe and China.
Apart from formal classes and language training, students can experience immersion in a number of cultural and social activities intended to deepen the understanding of China e.g. movie nights, tai chi classes, tea ceremony and multiple excursions of their choice, for example to Hanghzou, Water Town TongLi or XiTang, Xi´an, Beijing, and to the famous Great Wall.
Students will be hosted at university dormitories of the Shanghai International Studies University (SISU) and assisted with local and European students and organisers who will help participants make the experience rich, memorable and fun!
We offer a four-week programme with:
• lectures, seminars highlighting specific elements of history, geography, culture, law, politics, business and society in China
• language training (4 hrs per day)
• company visits
• workshops at partner institutes
• excursions to landmark sites
Full programme you can find in a downloadable form at the bottom.
• The students must be matriculated in one SG member university
• Provide a language proficiency in English equivalent to B2
1. Candidates meeting the pre-requisites, should first fill in on-line form on the SGroup Network expressing their initial interest in taking part in the Summer School avaialable at the following LINK
2. Next, candidates should prepare application documents composed of:
a. Motivation letter in English (describing their interest in the programme and their openness to the immersion into Chinese culture, language, history and society as well as the intended added value and connection of the learning outcomes for/with their future academic studies and professional
c. Transcript of records
The documents should be sent to a contact person at home institution, more precisely Liaison Officers of their home institutions whose co-ordinates are available at the following link: http://sgroup.be/members/lo
3. Liaison Officers will make nominations of candidates from their respective institution and send a ranked list of candidates to the SGroup Secretariat by 31st March.
1.600,00 € per student (including tuition & accommodation for week 1 - 3 in Shanghai (1.200,00 €) as well as the inner Chinese travel expenses during week 4 to Xi’an and Beijing (400,00 €))
Travel expenses to China and fees for visa, health and liability insurance, vaccinations as well as living expenses (food) must be borne separately by the participants.
- by 31 March 2018 - Nominations of students through Liaison officers of SGroup members
- by 24 April 2018 – final selection of participants by the SGroup TT4C and announcement of the results (after this date a direct contact with the students will be established by the SGroup Secretariat).
- by 30 April 2018 - Down Payment of 350€ to SGroup
- by 15 May 2018 - second round of registrations - nominations of students through Liaison officers of SGroup members
- by 18 May 2018 - final selection of participants of the second round of registrations by the SGroup TT4C and announcement of the results (after this date a direct contact with the students will be established by the SGroup Secretariat).
- by 27 May 2018 - Down paument of 350€ to SGroup by students selected on the second round of registrations
- May, June and July preparatory webinars (dates to be announced after the selection of candidates is completed.
- 3 August 2018 arrival in Shanghai
- 1 September 2018 departure (from Beijing)
Organiser: SGroup - Think Tank for China
Host Institution: Shanghai International Studies University (SISU)
Contributing Institutions: University of Bayreuth, BAYCHINA, Ghent University - China Platform, Nordic Centre at Fudan University
For further questions about the participation in the Summer School, candidates can contact Mariana Sousa at email@example.com